Motor Vehicle Information

Motor Vehicle
Titling and Registering Motor Vehicles
Link to Vehicle Information

The Brown County Treasurer’s Office is an agent of the State of Kansas for registering and titling motor vehicles. We issue license plates upon receipt of proper documentation and submission of the correct fees. The fees include registration fees, personal property taxes, title fees and sales tax, if applicable. As of June 7, 2004 you can now use a credit card or debit card for payment of Motor Vehicle Registration. This credit / debit card service is only available in the office at the counter.

Renewal notices are mailed out as courtesy reminders six (6) weeks prior to the expiration date of the license plate. They are NOT forwarded to address changes.

State law requires applicants to provide proof of insurance on each vehicle being registered. This can be an insurance card issued by the insurance company, or a photocopy thereof, a binder of insurance, a motor carrier ID number issued by the state corporation commission, fleet insurance, or a certificate of self insurance issued by the Insurance Commissioner.

Initial titling of vehicles when purchased is another function of the office. In order to title a vehicle, the applicant must have an assigned title or Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin. The new owner has 30 days to bring the documents into the office for processing. After the 30 days, penalties will be assessed.

Vehicles with out-of-state titles must have a VIN inspection done before the vehicle can be titled in Kansas. This procedure is checking for stolen vehicles and matches the VIN number on the car to the one on the title. This is not a safety inspection.

Inspection Schedule

Fee: $20.00 cash

Brown Co Sheriff's Office
Monday & Tuesday 8am - 5pm. 

Vehicle inspections (VINS) may also be done by appointment if requested and an office is available.

Hiawatha Police Dept
Wednesday -- 8am - 12 noon;  1pm - 3pm
Thursday & Friday -- 8am - 12 noon;  1pm - 5pm

Vehicle Tag Schedule

License plates for cars, pick-ups, motorcycles and RV’s in Kansas expire based on the first letter in the last name of the first person listed on the title as follows:

Last Name Begins With:Tag Expires at Midnight On:
AFebruary 28 (or 29)
BMarch 31
C - DApril 30
E - F - GMay 31
H - IJune 30
J - K - LJuly 31
M - N - OAugust 31
P - Q - RSeptember 30
SOctober 31
T - V - WNovember 30
U - X - Y - ZDecember 31

For more detailed information regarding registering and titling vehicles in Kansas please click here.

License plates for State Universities can be found here.